Monday, June 15, 2009

My D-O-G


Today I am writing a simple post. It is about Cosette, my dear companion. Yes, she is a d-o-g...but she doesn't know it. She doesn't really like those four legged animals. Actually, she doesn't pay any attention to any animals. She walks right past the ducks and geese at North Pond and she could care less about squirrels. She does have one d-o-g trait...sniffing. Yes, she likes her nose to the ground.

I tried "socializing" her. We had a few play dates with other toy poodles. They liked her but she didn't like them. She would come to me wanting me to rescue her. No such luck. I believed she needed to learn to play. Well, the other dogs would continue to try to get her to play and finally she would have enough and turn around and snarl at them. Well, that was the end. They had no more interest in her. Of course, then she was interested in them...only until they resumed interest in her. Go figure!

When we are out walking sometimes and she is distracted and when I see a big dog I might say, "Cosette, big puppy!". She will stop what she is doing and do a 360 to find the dog. When she sees it she scurries over by me and is ready to move on...or be picked up. Yes, she can be a wimp.

One night (some time ago) it was late and I was working on the computer. I had the dog show on TV and Cosette was sleeping on the couch. I was working diligently when I heard a little grrrrr. Pretty soon up she was standing on her hind legs in front of the TV barking at the dogs in the show. After that every time she saw a dog on TV she would do that. I started telling her no so she doesn't do it anymore...well, seldom does it anymore. That behavior has given me many smiles.

I could go on and on with little stories about how she brightens my day but I am probably boring you now. The bottom line is she makes me happy. I don't know how anyone can live without a d-o-g. They are such loyal loving companions.

No comments:

Post a Comment