Sunday, June 14, 2009

All Is Well


Today while sitting at my computer I heard several sirens. This is not terribly unusual. However, today they sounded very close and also sounded like they were stopping in front of my building. Upon walking to the window I witnessed five fire trucks, a fire chief's car and a police car definitely in front of my building. In the five years I have lived here this is the third time I have experienced this.

The first time was because someone had a small kitchen fire, panicked and called the fire department. The fire was out before the fire department got here. Of course, I did not know that and decided to take Cosette and walk down the stairs. (Happy I live on the 12th floor not the 35th.) Had a nice visit with a few neighbors and took Cosette for an extra walk. All was well.

The second episode I decided to wait in my apartment and see what transpired. Within a short time my phone rang and there was a general message from the property manager explaining that smoke had been smelled in the hallway and it was due to a small electrical fire in one of the elevators. Things were under control. The elevator was shut down and service was here to make repairs/replacements. Two other elevators were in fine order so all was well.

Today I received the building message via phone call to say once again there was a smell of smoke which was from an electrical wire in an elevator. The fire department was called as a precautionary measure and they were checking everything. The fire department is gone. All is well.

On October 17, 2003 six people died in a fire in the Cook County Administrative Building. As a result of that fire the city has put in place a high-rise life-safety program. For a summary of that program click here. Last I heard high-rise buildings were to be in compliance with this program by 2012. I know there has been much discussion about these requirements due to the cost of compliance. Unfortunately, I do not know if there has been an extension of time or a change in the compliance requirements. The summary was taken from the City of Chicago website so should be current (please note I said "should be"). If you have more information on this issue, please let me know.

Meanwhile here at home "All is Well".

No comments:

Post a Comment