Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Are you looking for a pet?


Bo Obama has caused quite an interest in Portuguese Water dogs and a stir amongst people that favor shelter dogs. For me I don't think there is a dog I don't like...well, unless it has been damaged by a human. It is unfortunate but true. Humans either destroy them by abuse or inbreeding.

There are many awful stories that could be relayed here but this blog is only about good news and there are many good stories about shelters that take in homeless dogs, people who foster dogs that have special needs and people that adopt one of the many homeless dogs. I admire all these people. Perhaps I admire those who foster dogs the most. I have never understood how people can take a dog in, care for it for months and then give it to someone else to provide a forever home. It would break my heart to give up the dog. It takes a very special person to perform such a good deed.

One woman who consistently works to provide homes for dogs...and other types of animals...is Sheri Berliner. Sheri is a photographer who goes to several shelters and photographs the dogs and cats (actually bunnies, too...and are they ever cute!) that are in need of homes. She posts the photographs with a brief story about each animal on a couple of websites, petfinder.com and
AdoptaPet.com. She also emails the photos and stories to her email base of approximately 4000 pet lovers...of which I am one.

The photo on the right is one that Sheri took of a pit bull puppy. I think most people do not like pit bulls. They have had a bad rap in the press and to be honest they aren't the cutest dog. The pit bulls that create bad press are generally those abused by a human or a victim of inbreeding. People that have and know the breed know it to be a sweet dog and loyal to family members. Well, back to Sheri and her photos. After receiving several of Sheri's photos of pit bulls I realized one day that my attitude toward this breed had changed. Her photos and stories give each animal a personality that touches your heart.

Check out Sheri's website and maybe join her email list. While I can't adopt a pet (Cosette would never permit it.) I do forward the emails when I think someone might have an interest in a particular pet. I don't think I have assisted with any adoptions but who knows what happens when emails get passed on. And if you don't have a pet, perhaps you will find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment