Thursday, June 25, 2009

Honest! It Really is a Good Thing.

"Ben & Jerry's" "ice cream&quot...Image by osde8info via Flickr



Here on the Internet for all the world to see I am going to admit my need to exercise and to make healthier food choices. I am not going to use the word "diet" because I believe to most of us it means to give up, go without and pain. It is also generally thought of as a temporary situation. It need not be any of those things...nor should it be.

Starting now...not tomorrow...I will be making healthier food choices and I will be starting a moderate exercise program.

I have done the food thing before quite successfully. It was basically a matter of moderation. It did not bother me to not have wine every evening or ice cream daily. These were not forbidden foods just to be enjoyed in reasonable moderation. Last night I had a pint of Ben & Jerry's for dinner. This is a definite no-no...and not an unreasonable one. I will not elaborate on why I fell off the earlier program. I will only say it was indirectly encouraged by another party. I am not placing blame as I had a choice and could have said "no".

Several changes need to be made and the first is for me to make reasonable food choices. Portion control is the second change. Currently my diet exists of primarily carbs. This must change as with carbs (pasta and rice specifically) there seems to be no end to the portion I can consume. When I eat a reasonable portion of a well balanced meal I am completely satisfied and not banging the cupboard doors looking for something to satisfy an often unknown craving.

Also, from past experience I know that when dining out if I start my meal with a salad and then eat half the portion served and take half home I have generally had plenty of food to satisfy me. And half a restaurant portion is generally the suggested portion size for healthy eating. The other bonus is taking half home provides a second meal and makes it a profitable arrangement in all regards.

These two simple changes will make a significant difference in my health, my weight and my wardrobe. Of course, I know I must add exercise to this lifestyle change. For me this will be the most difficult part...but it will be a part of the program.

I know to make too many changes at one time is a program for failure. I also know that with each small step you take the next step is easier. I have a book that I had started to use as a guide before and it really makes good sense. The book is "ChangeOne" by John Hastings. The following is an exerpt from the book.

The Key Principles
  1. Make one change at a time. You can't become a new person overnight - lasting change requires a measured approach.
  2. The secret to weight loss is understanding portion sizes, not math. If you don't want to count calories for the rest of your life, don't diet that way.
  3. All foods are allowed. Let your meals be a source of healthy pleasure and never skimp on flavor or delight.
  4. Eating for a healthy weight is the same as eating for health. Think of ChangeOne as a way of life, and this will be the last time you have to lose weight.
The book devotes a chapter to one change per week. So for the first week I will focus on breakfast, better choices for other meals and daily exercise (no commitment to how much or what type of exercise). To stay on track with better food choices I will plan ahead for the week and prepare some foods ahead so they are easily accessible for those busy days...or lazy days. With planning it will make staying on track much easier and once I have done this for a few weeks it will become a habit and a way of life.

The good thing about this is I will feel better and look better. I will be able to wear more of the clothes hanging in my closet (some with tags).

My goal for July 31st is to lose 8#...a little less than 2# per week. Since this is the beginning of the plan the weight will come off easier so I believe this to be a very reasonable goal. I expect I will revisit this subject during this time period but if not I will definitely do so at the end of July. I am excited about this plan. I am ready for the change and it is a very good thing!




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment