Friday, July 3, 2009

The Microwave Isn't Just for Cookin


One of the daily emails I receive is the Daily Recipe from Real Simple Magazine. In addition to the recipe you have access to other bits of information. Some days I like the recipe and some days I just hit delete. Today I took a look at the other items and came upon "14 Surprising Uses for Your Microwave" by Melissa Clark.

Do you ever have sponges that have lots of life left in them but they smell disgusting? Well, I usually throw them in the dishwasher which takes care of the problem but since I only run my dishwasher about once a week here is a better solution from the article:

Disinfecting and Deodorizing Sponges

Don't throw out the kitchen sponge that smells like last night's salmon. Soak it in water spiked with white vinegar or lemon juice, then heat it on high for 1 minute. (Use an oven mitt to remove it.) This will also disinfect any sponges you used to wipe up the juices from a raw chicken.

Here is another use that I am going to try:

Roasting Garlic

It takes 45 minutes to roast garlic in the oven but less than 8 in the microwave. Slice off the top of the head to reveal all the cloves. Place the head in a small, deep dish, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of good olive oil. Spoon 2 tablespoons of water into the bottom of the dish, cover it with plastic wrap, and cook at medium power for 7 to 7 1/2 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes before unwrapping.

To find the other 12 ideas click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment